A Small Agency with a Big Heart
Leslie Loyd
Foster care. The very words send a cringe down your spine and instantly conjure ideas of loveless homes and children being moved from one place to the next, just shifted around a huge, inefficient bureaucracy. At least that is what I thought of when I heard about foster care before I began an internship in January.
My first day, my notions on this horrible system were shattered when four children ran into the office hugging their social worker and offering their after school snack. The social workers were genuinely interested in their school, family, and who had won last nights Uno game. Over the past two months I have met, and built friendships, with several children in foster care and their families, both foster families and biological families. I have seen the children thriving in school and extracurricular activities, forming strong and lasting bonds with their foster family, and becoming responsible and generous citizens.
I am amazed at the love and dedication that is poured into each child, with a genuine and driven effort to provide a promising future. The foster parents lean onto each other for support and encouragement, they have created a bond between them that is clearly strong and purposeful. The social workers at TFC are willing to work overtime to provide family support and nurture each family and child.
I am awed and humbled to be a part of the “family” that _____ has created. If a child has to be in foster care, I cannot think of a better situation that to be with an agency with such a big heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment